OUR HISTORY

St. James started off as an Extension church, started by a few visionaries worshipping at First Presbyterian Church. After a few years of exploration and deliberation, the Presbytery of Chatham approved the area of Northwest Chatham as the site for a new Presbyterian congregation. Four lots were purchased on the corner of McNaughton and Craven for $4000.  While plans for a building were worked out, feelers were placed in the community in the form of a Sunday School meeting at John Given public school. It was quickly determined that a proper congregation was warranted in the area, so on February 15th, 1959, the first actual church service was held at the school, with 25 families attending. This soon grew to 50 families, and in October the fledging congregation decided to erect a church building. Less than a year later, a sod turning ceremony was held, and on March 26th, 1961 St. James Presbyterian church held its opening service.

Our first Sanctuary, however was not our current building. What is now our upstairs hall and office space was the original space in which our congregation met.

As the congregation grew, space in the original building became limited, so on June 16th, 1986, it was decided that an expansion was needed. The result was the thoroughly modern, fully accessible new Sanctuary St. James enjoys today. Of course, there is much more to our past history and we have an exciting future ahead of us. Come visit and learn for yourself our story and what makes St. James a great place to serve and worship God.

St. James Presbyterian Church
Celebrating and Sharing God’s LoveAbout_Us.htmlAbout_Us.htmlAbout_Us.htmlshapeimage_1_link_0shapeimage_1_link_1

St. James Presbyterian Church

310 McNaughton Avenue West Chatham Ontario N7L 1R9

Email: office@stjameschatham.com

Phone: 519-352-1240